Friday, November 18, 2011

What Women Fear by Angie Smith

If there is a book title that could catch my eye from across the room, it is this one. I have always had a struggle with fear. Several years ago, God miraculously freed me from the bulk of my greatest fears, but if I am not careful to guard my heart, they attempt to take over my thoughts again. As I read this book, I realized that I am not alone. I could relate on so many levels with the topics Angie Smith covers in her book, What Women Fear.

Angie covers the basics of death, abandonment, rejection, and failure. But she doesn't stop there. She digs deeper into the realms of the "What ifs" and the fear of being found out (that we aren't perfect...gasp!) One that I often still struggle with is the fear of not being significant. Angie describes tit like this:

I don’t think I have ever met a single person who could honestly say that they never cared about anyone else’s opinion of them. There may have been situations where they were able to dismiss feedback, but it seems that no one is immune. We may be talking, working, parenting, advising, teaching, or any other number of things, but as we go through the motions we don’t know how to silence the fear:
"Am I important?"


Each chapter is devoted to a fear that I am betting most people have struggled with at some point or another in their lives. She approaches each topic with much grace as she tells stories from her life interwoven with stories from the Bible. There are moments of laughter to go along with the seriousness of this topic. She also includes a prayer from the heart at the end of each chapter. I highly recommend this book to you even if you are "fearless" maybe it will help you understand the rest of us! :0) 

No comments:

Post a Comment